Skip to main content

Interview Tips: Greatest Strength / Strongest Skill

  

Warm Greetings!


Interview Preparation:

What is your greatest strength / strongest skill

📂 Content:
    3.1. Example 1
    3.2. Example 2
    3.3. Example 3
    3.4. Example 4
    3.5. Example 5

Why does the interviewer ask this question?

It's an important interview question to test the self-assessment skill of the candidate and to determine if the candidate's strength is aligned with the company's benefit. Among all other jobseekers, how the candidates set themselves apart can be a key factor for their selection in the interview. Interviewers invest their time, energy, and effort in picking the right candidates for their company, so they would like to consider candidates having a clear mindset about their useful skills to be applied to both their own career goals and the company's productivity. Interviewers can phrase the question in several different ways. The following are some tips and sample answers to the question.

Tips:

  • Plan an answer before the interview about which of your skills are most relevant to the role.
  • Mention only the most useful skills, both soft skills, and hard skills, if any. 
  • Sound convincing giving relevant examples of when the skills are used for positive outcomes
  • Show how the skills can be useful for the benefit of the role/organization
  • Express how your career goal is aligned with the goal of the organization
  • Be honest and confident with your responses.

Sample Answers:

Example 1:

I take great pride in my team management skills. I have participated in many sports, programs, activities, and projects throughout my academic years and, in some instances, I was assigned to lead teams that gradually polished my skills to a great extent. Through my jovial personality, I can easily work with a team efficiently, which eventually leads to success. I believe it's one of the most important skills to work with goals and challenges while increasing productivity to the organization's standard.

Example 2:

I believe my greatest strength is my time management skills by far. I always schedule ahead of all important tasks or responsibilities to have a clear mindset about how I can complete them perfectly and how long it's gonna take to do the same. This way, I never miss any deadline or any important tasks, also fulfill my responsibilities in the most efficient way possible. We all know time waits for none and I believe correct utilization of time leads to one's success and achievements.

Example 3:

I believe I am a highly adaptable individual. In my academic years, I stayed in a hostel far from my hometown and I needed to be accustomed to a completely different place, people, and culture. However, my adaptable nature and friendliness always help me in situations like that. I give foremost priority to the things important to me like education, career, etc., and for that, I can adapt to any new changes. It has also helped to learn a lot in developing my interpersonal skills.

Example 4:

My ability to lead a team with efficient teamwork and motivation has been always proven to be my greatest skill. In my 10 years of work experience as a sales manager, I handled different teams with different challenges to achieve targets. I have been awarded multiple times by my previous employer recognizing my initiative efforts to achieve team targets with maximum productivity. I believe my leadership quality has been the key to all these achievements.

Example 5:

I can safely say that I am proud of the writing skills that helped me to achieve multiple certificates and recognitions throughout my academic years. My writing on various topics has been published in university magazines every year of my post graduation. I can communicate efficiently through my eloquent writing style. I build a persuasive story by analyzing various data and information required for the target purpose. As a literature graduate, I am well versed in different types of writing styles and this skill will definitely help me greatly in the responsibilities I am expected to take for your company as a content writer.

What should be avoided in the answer?


The following must not be included in the answer:
  • I have many skills and the list goes long.
  • I am best in all skills.
  • I think my skills are...
  • I am physically strong. (It can be only relevant for roles that require physical strength.)
  • I know a lot of things.
I suggest you not copy and paste answer examples from this blog or any other sites to avoid sounding phony. Instead, you should take ideas from the examples and create your responses, adding your own honest professional and personal goals to sound genuine, which will be more fruitful.

Exercise:

I encourage the career aspirant readers to share their responses to the mentioned question in the comment and I will assist you with my expertise by sharing feedback for your answer. Also will reply if any improvement is required to the posted answers. It will help other job seekers get various ideas and articulate their responses.

Related:

Check Cover Letter: Tips & Templates, Resume: Tips & Templates, CV: Tips & Templates to write a job-winning cover letter, resume, or cv, and Interview Tips & Preparation to ace interviews like a pro.

Comments