Skip to main content

Interview Tips: 5/10 Years Goal / Long Term Goal

  

Warm Greetings!


Interview Preparation:

How do you see yourself in the next 5 years/10 years? / Your long term goal

đŸ“‚Content:
    3.1. Example 1
    3.2. Example 2
    3.3. Example 3
    3.4. Example 4
    3.5. Example 5

Why does the interviewer ask this?

It's a very common and important question for an interview as it helps the interviewer to comprehend if the candidate will be goal-oriented, career-centric, a high achiever, or not. In simple words, the interviewers try to measure the ambition of the candidates by asking this question. Interviewers invest their time, energy, and effort in picking the right candidates for their company, so they would like to consider candidates having a good future plan or career goal which can help their company's productivity as well. Interviewers can phrase the question in several different ways. The following are some tips and sample answers to the question.

Tips:

  • Keep things general
  • Be genuine with what you really want
  • List down what you want to achieve both professionally & personally
  • Express the skills/experience you want to develop while keeping the current offer in the context
  • Show how you plan to utilize your experience to achieve your goal (if experienced)

Sample Answers

Example 1:

I plan to achieve a few significant things in the next 5 or 10 years, both professionally and personally. Speaking of my professional goals, I want to prove myself a reliable and productive member of an organization like yours by doing numerous challenging projects in making the business move forward significantly while delivering results on time and to the required standard. I would like to inspire and motivate others through my work and achievements. Also, I want to take major financial responsibilities for my family and follow my passion to travel places around the world.

Example 2:

I have set my sights on developing my professional and personal future significantly through my continuous efforts for the same. I am prepared to bring my all to this offer and I will be committed to it in the interest of my advancement. I have always prioritized commitment to my job, collaboration, and leadership, which helped in advancing toward my goal. Along with that, I plan to utilize my experience, skills, and knowledge to work with numerous challenges which constantly push my skills and qualities to make me do better and achieve my goals eventually.

Example 3:

I have been working in this field for quite a few years and handled many challenges efficiently earning appreciation from both my leads and colleagues. I plan to bring my expertise to your company to prove my potential to manage projects giving the most efficient results. Also, I plan on delivering more than is asked of me. My long term goal is to work on bigger, more challenging targets so I can assess my key abilities while shaping myself into being more productive.

Example 4:

My long term goal is to become a subject matter expert in the field I will be working on in your company as I want to achieve a leadership or managerial position that allows me to help others shape their career. I am highly inspired by your company’s vision and I want to contribute significantly to fulfill the same. Also, I want to be recognized because of my work and achievements. I want to be successful in both professional and personal areas to inspire others through my work. Another goal is to pursue my passion for photography.

Example 5:

I just graduated with my degree in Business Management, and I’m excited to get my first opportunity in the industry presently. My long term goals are to learn a variety of scopes or experiences that the field of business management offers and work toward my target goal. I would love to be an expert in the specific field of business management which my goal requires. I want to work on building a solid foundation and learn the basics to advance starting my career. I know this job offers exposure to a variety of areas and opportunities to learn and experience and I want to utilize all these to achieve my goal to become an expert and successful professional.

What should be avoided in the answer?


The following must not be included in the answer:
  • My long term goal is to get a job.
  • I want to be the CEO of your company.
  • I want to work on my weaknesses.
  • I am looking forward to getting a good amount of salary.
  • I want to know if your company can provide opportunities to grow my career.

I suggest you not copy and paste answer examples from this blog or any other sites to avoid sounding phony. Instead, you should take ideas from the examples and create your responses, adding your own honest professional and personal goals to sound genuine, which will be more fruitful.

Exercise:

I encourage the career aspirant readers to share their responses to the mentioned question in the comment and I will assist you with my expertise by sharing feedback for your answer. Also will reply if any improvement is required to the posted answers. It will help other job seekers get various ideas and articulate their responses.

Related:

Check Cover Letter: Tips & Templates, Resume: Tips & Templates, CV: Tips & Templates to write a job-winning cover letter, resume, or cv, and Interview Tips & Preparation to ace interviews like a pro.

Comments